Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Inspiration Horned Ball 2011

At first I had no idea what to wear to Horned Ball 7: Road to Valhalla!!!!
The theme this year besides horned creatures is VIKINGS. Aside from wearing hilarious hats and Eric from True Blood *hot* (do yourself a favor and click that link) I've never put much thought into vikings. Fur trimmed barbarian warriors and warrioresses? <---That is so not a word
Anyway most likely I will do a variation of my unicorn costume and add a dark spin to it. The vikings were around in a very dark time, literally. Yesterday I bought red and white striped spandex to match the red and white striped horns I found when we were doing crafting for the event.

The thing I am most excited about though is the wig. At the 2010 Halloween Sample sale I talk about ALL THE TIME I got a Loooooooooong black wig. I mean like 3 feet long. (IT WAS 2 DOLLARS!!) I am going to tease and style it into a mane and decorate it festively. With the red and white spandex ($10 at Spandex House 38th street between 7th and 8th Ave) I want to make leggings or a body suit. I don't have my heart set on a body suit because A) my rogue sewing capabilities can only get me so far and B) I have been eating too many bagels and my belly looks like that of a 4 month pregnant woman.


ANYWAY This weekend I will begin sewing and I'll document my progress whether it is a disaster or raving success! I'm planning big dramatic makeup for the event. My friend Tony (who does terrific creative costumes) forwarded the video for Katy Perry's new video ET. She has some very dramatic looks and I love the shading on her face. I want to try it in red, white and black.

Eyelashes: I will be trying lower lashes as well as upper lashes this time! Very exciting. I found this picture of Mila Kunis that I loved from W magazine.
Also this gorgeous geisha photo. I have those black feather lashes already. Both of these are super dramatic examples and I don't know if I will go all out on my first attempt but hey, when do I ever say less is more. MORE IS MORE FOREVER!!!

So buy your tickets now for only $15, dance, drink, celebrate the return of spring and come see how my Dark Viking Unicorn costume turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment