Tuesday, January 18, 2011

How to make custom Mickey Mouse ears.

Let me start this posting with I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!

Dad and I at The Magic Kingdom circa 1983

As a child I lived in Kissimmee, Florida from the ages of about 4 to 8. We lived close enough to the Magic Kingdom that I could see the laser light show at night from our house. Epcot Center was pretty much brand new then and my family was able to get season passes for cheap as Florida residents. Needless to say we went there all the time. Who wants to go grab ice cream at Epcot?!? This being said, I was obviously on board when one of my best friends Erin wanted to have her bachelorette party at Disney. YES!! A lot of planning and emailing and now its actually happening.

Last week some of the girls going on the Disney trip got together at Erin's place for an evening of Ear Crafting. Appetizers including Mickey shaped cookies and Skinny Girl margaritas were served. (BTW both of those things I just named are delicious!) We ordered basic black Mickey ears on a headband from Amazon.com. The are plush covered and surprisingly comfortable. Also very importantly they are the right shape and size since they are a Disney licensed product. Then I lugged over my entire craft closet to Erin's house for a ribbon, sequin, feather, bow covered extravaganza.

Once I starting pulling craft supplies out of my closet, I could not believe the massive collection I have acquired in the last 5 years! Extra fabric from MANY sewing projects, pieces of marabou boas, ribbon that I couldn't stand to see put in the trash at work, gems, feathers, and sequins from so many flamboyant headpieces! In short we didn't have to buy ANYTHING for decorating which saved money and a trip to Michael's. Everyone dove right in and I was very impressed with the level of creativity and craftiness. Many hot glue burns later and with a whole lot of glitter spread all over Erin's apartment we were finished. Here's a look at some our Disney works of art.

Andrea's Epcot fireworks show inspired World Showcase Ears!

Melissa's Gothic inspired Lolita Minnie Ears

Pam's Diamond in the Rough Ears *made and modeled by Andrea

My Alice in Wonderland inspired Golden Afternoon Ears

Lauren's Miss Piggy inspired Hollywood Ears

Alisha's Tim Burton inspired Minnie Ears *Made by Lauren and modeled by Andrea

Megan's Minnie inspired Glitter Bouquet Ears

Finally, Erin's very special Bride of Mickey Ears!



Let the most MAGICAL trip ever begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment