Tuesday, December 14, 2010

SantaCon Recap

Santa squeezed his fat white a$$ down that chimney last Saturday, he found the jolliest bunch of a$$holes this side of the nuthouse.

What fun last Saturday was! Santa was out in full force.
The merriment could not be contained. The bars, parks, and sidewalks over flowed with fat men in red suits, Frostys, elves, toy soldiers and walking Xmas trees.
A few of my favorites:
Jesus in a birthday hat
Potato Latke
Hasidic Jews
Winter Prince (My Match!)

Such great creativity. Of course there were just plain drunk Santas. I saw one sleeping on the sidewalk around 4pm. Shoulda had a hearty breakfast, dude! West 4th street was a flood of Santas by the time I got there. We parked ourselves in The Four Faced Liar's front window with a beer to wait for some friends and watched wave after wave of SantaConers go by. People watching just does not get much better than this.
But on to my costume... Winter Princess, Queen Frostine, Ice Bitch whatever. Thank goodness for the warmer weather on Saturday because I was worried about having to wear a coat and basically ruin the whole effect of the costume. I layered some thermal shirts from Conway and tons of tights and felt pretty good. I always find that the excitement of that day keeps me the warm too. I really like the way the whole thing came out and I would absolutely wear it again. I even had my nails done to match!

The wig was the best part. I knew I wanted a windswept look and so I ended up buying styrofoam pieces (a cone and wreath) for volume and hiding them under the teased wig. That way I was also able to poke wire into the styrofoam to keep in the snowflakes and other decorations. I used bobby pins too and didn't have to do much hot glueing. It was fairly steady on my head and thankfully it was not a windy day. Throughout the wig I had 20 bright white LED lights that were run by a 2 AA battery pack hidden in the back. Over all the wig wasn't too heavy. The styrofoam pieces worked well but were not very durable. A full day of Santa fun can be rough and the styrofoam ring that was providing volume was in 3 or 4 pieces by 9pm. Revisions will need to be made to the structural support!
Make application started about 2 hours before I left the house. The White base from Ricky's I applied with a makeup sponge. Then I mixed a very light blue using Mehron Fantasy F-X face paint. I absolute love this brand of liquid face paint and I have been using it since I was 12 painting kids faces at the public library's summer program. The snowflakes were stickers from Michaels and I covered everything with a star dust powder by Mattese Elite (also purchased at Ricky's). Eyelashes on and we're done.



Everything on me was the whitest white I could find and the effect was terrific. I bought the fabric for the dress at JoAnn's. It was a white synthetic fabric with glitter in it. The basic shape I made for the dress was the same as my Halloween dress. I used a lot of the same pattern to cut it out. However I wanted it to be short and flirty this time. Luckily I have a huge stash of tutus and petticoats. Put a few on and voila!! Volume!



Footwear was a little bit of an issue. Comfort is obviously key for a full day of fun but my Playa boots were way too dark. So I bought some last minute felt at Mood. They have great heavy duty felt in a plethora of colors which is $7 a yard. They even do 1/2 yards which NOT a lot of fabric stores will do in NYC. As a matter of fact they usually give me the stink eye when I want just one yard of a fabric. Anyway I made some boot covers with a simple elastic top which worked just fine.
The staff I recycled from last year and put in new snowflake flashy lights that I got at Wal-Mart for $3. They run on 2 AA batteries so less weight too!

As usual I got called Lady Gaga several times throughout the day. I saw a couple of snowflakes and snowmen throughout the day, but the best had to be when I met my match made in heaven at the Santa After party!

He's now my friend on Facebook. :P




This blog post is brought to you by:

No comments:

Post a Comment